Skip to main content

The HBO Guide Challenge 1982...everybody's doing it...? Or not so much?!


So here is the deal: I just received 7 HBO guides from both 1980 and 1982 (1 from ’80 and 6 from ’82 to be exact) and given my autistic spectrum mess of a mind I wanted to create some scheme to get more fully invested in these guides. First, let me explain my fascination. The period between 1975 and 1985, give or take a few years in either direction, is my golden nostalgia era. For me, this is the span of time wherein I find all my extant memories are good – or feel good after a healthy dose of all-healing time.

Time. Sugar-coats the memory doesn’t it? 

Regardless, everything from this period (ages 4 to 14 roughly) from the music to the television commercials to the movies to my sacred Consumer Reports and Wacky Packages, is magical for me now. I get goose bumply both inside and out, and make no apologies for it (though it can certainly drive my girlfriend mad from time to time).

So. HBO guides arrive. I smell them. I fondle them with the kind of holy regard one might normally save for a relic. When these guides first came in the mail back in the day, I would salivate over all the cool features and movies that would be available that month; this was the period where the’ sneak preview’ was almost as much fun as the features themselves (remember those Saturday morning cartoon network preview shows?) and the HBO guide was like a colorful, shiny little square packed full of the coming month’s awesomeness.
Browsing the contents now brings back the same sense of excitement and anticipation. These are ‘old’ movies now, many of them all but lost to obscurity, but they were hand-picked at the time by the folks at HBO.

So, how can I further immerse myself in this glowing and warm nostalgia? One of my autistic-y lists of course! Let’s make it a game in fact: let’s watch the movies thru in the precise order they appear in the guide.

At this point I must confess I was a bit irritated by the fact that I felt some obligation to stick somehow to the current date, in other words, get the August issue and find today’s programming (30 years ago of course) and watch those specific movies. But, alas, this is simply too impractical (I think anyhow) so I will simply start, admittedly arbitrarily, with the January 1982 guide, attempting to watch everything in the guide, using the first appearances in the schedule to dictate the order. Clearly, I won’t be watching the same feature more than once, so in theory this will mean fewer and fewer new programs/movies as the month progresses. Ideally, I will review each movie or special and provide any additional commentary I feel relevant (as if I could have stifled this even if I wanted to lol).

This is one of those things that will only demonstrate it’s practicality (or *wince* impracticality) through doing. So, without further a-don’t, let’s get the proverbial ball rolling. In this case, pun being on ball…as in Telly Savalas’ bald head and the flop “Blood Barrier” from 1979, opening the month of January, 1982, at – oh bother. It’s actually the SECOND presentation of the month, at 8:00 am, with Snowball Express ringing in the new year at 6:30 am. See? The hiccups are already rearing their ugly heads. I will simply watch Snowball second. 

Interestingly, the film is no longer known by this title but as the more mundane “Border Cop”; when first I saw the Blood Barrier title I thought ‘medical drama/thriller’…so perhaps this spurred the change…we may never know. On to the viewing!

Comments

  1. And just when I was wondering how we would fill our dance card when the Olympics end...



    The funny thing is, as I watched you sniff your new HBO guides for the familiar, musky smell of happy childhood days-gone-by, I almost suggested this VERY THING! As a joke, of course, and a loving jab at your inclination towards all things listy and orderly. But then I decided against it lest you take me seriously...

    But I guess it was inevitable ;-)

    Anyhow, your tangents are adorable...especially the slightly geeky ones, so...enjoy! Go forth and geek-out with my blessing xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Valentino (1977) directed by Ken Russell

This was another selection guided by my progression through the review compilation When the Lights Go Down by Rosemary Kael, which collects her reviews from the latter half of the 70's. Valentino emerged in 1977, one of a multitude of biopics from Ken Russell, this time focused upon the silent film star Rudolph Valentino (1895-1926) and his rise from ballroom gigolo dancer to massive movie star, following abruptly with his premature demise.  Tasked to play the Italian-American was Soviet dancer/choreographer Rudolf Nureyev; his strongly accented English, though not authentically Italian inflected, nonetheless 'works' in an organic fashion (it isn't 'fake' bad English, if that makes any sense). Further, the fact that Nuryev is not an actor per se actually plays nicely into the caricature -- and not having the pleasure of knowing the real Valentino, I must assume that is what this portrayal largely is: a larger than life caricature. 'Rudy' is always '

HBO July 1st, 1980 Killer Fish starring Lee Majors, Karen Black et al.

I won't bother with excuses as to why it's been several years since my last post (ok but only briefly...a 3 year old son came into the picture and that has certainly curtailed my activity in just about every way); I'm back with a look at July of 1980 and, starting at the top, we have Show Stoppers, hosted by Odd Couple star Tony Randall. I was only able to find a couple numbers from the show, thanks (perpetually) to my friend YouTube and user blah. At 9:30, the main event, Lee Majors, that ubiquitous face of action televsion through much of the 70's and early 80's, stars in Killer Fish. Killer Fish, I kid you not. When I first saw this title in the guide I thought "...some kind of nature documentary, a la Wild Kingdom etc..." but no, upon further perusal I find it has something to do with a jewel heist and, yes, evil fishes.  Piranhas again, to be precise. But this plot is clearly an attempt to hit that 'evil nature' thing somewhat obliquely, wit

Movie Review: "Snowball Express" (1972) HBO January 1st, Friday, 6:30 am

The first movie listed in the January '82 guide is Snowball Express , airing at 6:30 am, perfectly appropriate for the little ones to wake to (see previous post for my comments on the similarly inappropriate scheduling of Border Cop immediately afterwards at 8:30). This is a Walt Disney production starring Dean Jones (whom I recognized from somewhere when I first saw him, and it appears I'm remembering from the Herbie the Love Bug Disney flicks as I don't see anything else in his oeuvre that looks remotely familiar) and the instantly recognizable Harry Morgan (actually instantly known from his characteristic voice more this his appearance, hidden as it is behind a scraggly beard in this appearance) from the TV series MASH . Also noteworthy is the little freckly ginger kid (Johnny Whitaker) from Family Affair , a late '60's/early '70's TV show I remember well in syndication during the late '70's, typically aired around the Partridge Family and si