Skip to main content

HBO July 1st, 1980 Killer Fish starring Lee Majors, Karen Black et al.

I won't bother with excuses as to why it's been several years since my last post (ok but only briefly...a 3 year old son came into the picture and that has certainly curtailed my activity in just about every way); I'm back with a look at July of 1980 and, starting at the top, we have Show Stoppers, hosted by Odd Couple star Tony Randall. I was only able to find a couple numbers from the show, thanks (perpetually) to my friend YouTube and user blah.

At 9:30, the main event, Lee Majors, that ubiquitous face of action televsion through much of the 70's and early 80's, stars in Killer Fish. Killer Fish, I kid you not. When I first saw this title in the guide I thought "...some kind of nature documentary, a la Wild Kingdom etc..." but no, upon further perusal I find it has something to do with a jewel heist and, yes, evil fishes.  Piranhas again, to be precise. But this plot is clearly an attempt to hit that 'evil nature' thing somewhat obliquely, with a bit of Oceans 11 or similar thrown in to fatten up the story. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as it could have been...Karen Black is easy to watch, even with some downright silly scripting, and c'mon, everyone loves Mr. Majors...and yes, he is essentially playing the same character he played in The Fall Guy. The plausibility of the deadly fish element is embarrassingly thin, but it keeps the otherwise tired jewel heist trope slightly less stale. The whole thing is draped in cheese provided by a strange mix of slapstick Brazilian setting (the voice acting by the non-american actors appears to be dubbed?) and the Italian crew...the music and aural scenery are strange and jarring frequently. It's clearly a cash-in on the recent spate of nature gone awry films and is a piss-poor one at that, but, as I stated from the outset, it was more view able than I expected and I rather enjoyed it. This is actually my first experience of Majors outside of the Fall Guy/Million Dollar Man circle.

Interesting thing I note here: Killer Fish is THE flick for the day for those subscribing to HBO on this date, the remainder of the short broadcast day is more sports with a special on the greatest heavyweight boxers followed by sign-off. Not precisely mind-blowing quality stuff that distant Tuesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Valentino (1977) directed by Ken Russell

This was another selection guided by my progression through the review compilation When the Lights Go Down by Rosemary Kael, which collects her reviews from the latter half of the 70's. Valentino emerged in 1977, one of a multitude of biopics from Ken Russell, this time focused upon the silent film star Rudolph Valentino (1895-1926) and his rise from ballroom gigolo dancer to massive movie star, following abruptly with his premature demise.  Tasked to play the Italian-American was Soviet dancer/choreographer Rudolf Nureyev; his strongly accented English, though not authentically Italian inflected, nonetheless 'works' in an organic fashion (it isn't 'fake' bad English, if that makes any sense). Further, the fact that Nuryev is not an actor per se actually plays nicely into the caricature -- and not having the pleasure of knowing the real Valentino, I must assume that is what this portrayal largely is: a larger than life caricature. 'Rudy' is always '

Movie Review: "Blood Barrier" (1980) Starring Telly Savalas and Eddie Albert

Game on. HBO Guide challenge #1 January 1982, 8:30 am (not sure what they were thinking with this time slot given the film's violence and lack of a rating, but I digest). As indicated previously, I 'messed up' and started with the second movie of the month first - "Snowball Express" is actually in the 6:30 am slot - but we are just going to do this or the whole thing will stall in the gates. The guide refers to this film as "Blood Barrier"; clearly it WAS known by this title at some point in its history, but all current references, DVD's, etc., refer to it as "Border Cop". This is fitting as the former title is probably suggestive of a bit more subtlety than the film pulls off; human trafficking across the Mexican border is the topic, and our central character, played by Kojak star Telly Savalas, is out to "...see that justice is done" as per the guide description. The set up: Savalas is a border cop (hence the descriptive t

The HBO Guide Challenge 1982...everybody's doing it...? Or not so much?!

So here is the deal: I just received 7 HBO guides from both 1980 and 1982 (1 from ’80 and 6 from ’82 to be exact) and given my autistic spectrum mess of a mind I wanted to create some scheme to get more fully invested in these guides. First, let me explain my fascination. The period between 1975 and 1985, give or take a few years in either direction, is my golden nostalgia era. For me, this is the span of time wherein I find all my extant memories are good – or feel good after a healthy dose of all-healing time. Time. Sugar-coats the memory doesn’t it?  Regardless, everything from this period (ages 4 to 14 roughly) from the music to the television commercials to the movies to my sacred Consumer Reports and Wacky Packages, is magical for me now. I get goose bumply both inside and out, and make no apologies for it (though it can certainly drive my girlfriend mad from time to time). So. HBO guides arrive. I smell them. I fondle them with the kind of holy regard one might no